Sunday, December 2, 2012

Apple TV

An Apple For The Teacher...
An Apple TV that is! 
No, it's not really a big TV.  It's a little black box that connects my iPad and the students' iPads to the smartboard with an HDMI cable.  I am in love.  It does take a little getting use to because now you don't need to be standing at the front of the room.  At first, I found myself still wanting to walk to the front to write on the smartboard but I quickly adjusted my teaching.  Your iPad goes with you around the room and your work is still on display.  It was an inspiring moment. Students were still working while I could interact with anyone in the class at a moment's notice.  I could adjust the work as I checked in with students.  Some students got an extra hint while others got an extra problem.  This allows students to work at their own levels simultaneously.

This week Third and Fifth Graders worked on math in the library where I connected my new Apple TV.  The Third Graders have been working on Bar Modeling to show subtraction problems.
They worked in their Math in Focus workbooks and also showed their knowledge on the iPad.  The fun part was the sharing.  With Apple TV, students have the ability to display their work and share their thinking.





The Fifth Graders were working on adding and subtracting Fractions.  They worked the problem on their individual iPads and then they became the teacher when they shared their work.  It was exciting watching the students get excited about turning their iPads on to mirror their work and become the teachers.

**Tech Tip:  Connect the Apple TV with an HDMI cable to the projector.  For an older projector you will need an adapter.
For the new smartboards change to HDMI.  (this is the button next to the sound)
Make sure all the iPads are on the same wireless network.
Double tap the Home Button on the iPad. 
Slide the bottom dock until you see the AirPlay button. 
Select Apple TV and turn mirroring on. 
Presto!  Your iPad is on display.
Be sure to tell the students that they need to wait to be asked to share.

 
 
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.